$2.1bn arms deal: Ex-NAF finance chief returns N84m to EFCC

money
The immediate past Director of Finance and
Budget of the Nigerian Air Force, Air
Commodore O. O. Gbadebo, has reportedly
returned the sum of N84 million to the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission
(EFCC).
The Punch reports that a source within the
commission on February 14 disclosed that
the money was diverted from the account of
the Air Force. The source said the anti-graft
agency after confiscating some properties
belonging to the former NAF finance,
continued its investigation.
“After we sealed some properties last week,
we continued to grill the three officers.
Gbadebo finally confessed to diverting N84m
into his company account. The money was
swiftly recovered.
“We have also seized a large fish processing
company belonging to Adigun. He also
manufactures fish feeds, which he sells to end
users,” the source said.
The source, however, denied reports that the
EFCC recovered $1 million from the residence
of Amosu in Badagry, Lagos. He said it was
about $117,000 that was recovered during
the search.
“There have been reports that $1m was
recovered from a soak away in Amosu’s
Badagry home. This is not true.
“The actual amount recovered was about
$117,000 and it was kept in a safe in the house
and not in a soak away. The money is currently
in our exhibit room. We also recovered N200,
000 in cash from the house,” the source said.
The source said the suspects used their
wives to transfer money, adding that the Air
Force officers also used third parties to set
up companies and bank accounts, which their
wives where signatories to.
It was disclosed that the officers would make
transactions and transfer money into the
bank accounts of the companies while their
wives would take possession of the sums.
“Amosu’s wife, Omolara, was arrested when she
came to see her husband in detention. She
cooperated with us and we have also recovered
money from the company. Adigun’s wife, Helen,
also did the same. They have both been
released,” the source stated.
The EFCC is investigating 11 Air Force
officers for their involvement in the $2.1
billion arms deal. The source said Adigun has
been released by the commission but refused
to disclose if he was let go on bail or had
returned any money.
When the commission’s spokesman, Wilson
Uwujaren, was contacted for confirmation on
the recoveries, he said: “The investigation into
the arms scandal is still ongoing and I am not
able to comment on specific recoveries.”
The former Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Adesola
Amosu and 10 senior officers are being
investigated for the award of 10 contracts of
NAF worth $930,500,690.00. The sum is
believed to be connected with the $2.1 billion
earmarked for the purchase of arms for The commission last week confiscated
houses belonging to Gbadebo; the immediate
past Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola
Amosu (retd.); and the Chief of Accounts and
Budgeting of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Vice
Marshal J.B. Adigun, all worth about N5
billion.
The commission last week arrested the wife
of Amosu in relation to the ongoing
investigation into the $2.1 billion arms
procurement fund.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY LASSA FEVER PERSISTS IN NIGERIA –PROF. AGBONLAHOR

Buhari: What Lai Mohammed said about pictures of president meeting with governors in London